Journal
Apr
14
2022


Rat poison in a puppy.


Nearly empty rat poison container.

On the 14th of April 2022 a client rushed in to our Mid Levels hospital, as he thought that his four month old puppy, Otto, may have eaten some rat poison.

Otto had been running around on the roof of his building and then the owner found an empty container of rat poison.

We quickly gave the puppy some medicine to make him vomit.

Otto then vomited out a huge amount of rat poison.

This was easily enough to have killed him if the owner had not realised and brought the puppy in to us.

Otto was given an injection of vitamin K and some vitamin K tablets and should make a good recovery.

Otto had a lucky escape.

Two days later we had another dog presented, that had also eaten a lethal dose of rat poison.
That dog should also be OK after being made to vomit and being given the antidote.

We would always recommend that if you have a suspicion that your dog may have eaten some poison, then bring him to a veterinary clinic as soon as possible and make him vomit.
It is always better to be safe than to regret it later.



Otto vomiting out lots of rat poison.


Apr
10
2022


Wash your dog's food bowl to reduce bacteria in your kitchen.


Dirty dog bowl.

A study published recently shows that the frequency that people wash their pet's food bowl has a large effect on the bacteria in their kitchens.

This is especially true for people who feed raw foods to their pets.

The results showed that most pet bowls were washed about once a week and harboured many bacteria. However washing with hot water each day resulted in a dramatic reduction in the bacteria on the bowls.

The authors also recommend that we wash our hands after handling the dog's food and bowls.

This will reduce the significant risk of cross contamination from the pet's food to our own food,
This is particularly important in our small Hong Kong kitchens.




[Read more...]...


Feb
08
2022


Greedy dog chokes on a treat.


X-ray of something stuck in a dog's oesophagus.

A 4 year old pomeranian dog was presented after rapidly swallowing a dental chew bone.

After swallowing it, he was unable to eat and was drooling saliva and retching.
These are sure signs of a dog with something stuck in his oesophagus.

An X-ray was taken, which showed something was stuck in his oesophagus, at the level of his heart.

He was booked in for surgery the following day.

He was anaesthetised the next day and an endoscope was passed down, which showed a smooth hard object jammed in his oesophagus.

It was impossible to push the obstruction down and therefore we had to bring it back up through his mouth.

Because the side that we could see was smooth and rounded, it was impossible to grab to extract it.

After a lot of messing around and swearing, we managed to get it out.

Unfortunately, since it had been jammed for nearly 24 hours, the wall of the oesophagus was ulcerated and very sore at the site where the treat had been stuck.

The dog was instructed to only eat soft food for 10 days.

He has since made a full recovery.

His bad experience has not prevented him from always looking for more treats.



Dental bone stuck in a dog's oesophagus.


The dog completely recovered 2 months later.


Oct
23
2021


Addison's disease in a dog.


Chi Chi with Addison's disease.

Chi Chi is a 4 year old mongrel who came to our Ma On Shan hospital in September because he was eating less than normal.

He was quite thin and had low blood pressure.

A routine blood test showed that most things were normal but his kidney values were up a bit and his sodium was a bit low.

The owner agreed to do an ACTH stimulation test, which came back showing that his cortisol levels were below 1µg/dL, for both samples.

This demonstrated that Chi Chi had hypoadrenocorticism, commonly called Addison's disease.

He was started on the necessary tablets and came back for a recheck a month later.

By then, the owner said he was behaving like a normal dog and had regained 20% of his body weight.

Addison's is quite a rare disease that each vet probably sees just once a year. It can be quite frustrating and a bit expensive, to get the diagnosis. Once on treatment, animals (and humans) can live a completely normal life.

Now we just have to fix his food allergy.


[Read more...]...


Chi Chi with Addison's disease.